By Nardo Kuitert, U-C WEBS
[Published in The Wellington Advertiser, February 2013 for the Centre Wellington Chamber of Commerce]
A website’s home page is very important, but contrary to what one might expect, it’s not necessarily the most important.
The home page acts as an introduction to your site, and can give the visitor an overview of what to expect, as well as build trust and respect for your company. So it makes sense to put a lot of work and effort in creating this “reflection of your company” page. The first impression always makes the most impact, right?
But, and of course there is a “but” coming, a lot of visitors may enter your website on an inner page and may never see the home page. You also have a greater chance of converting your visitor into a customer on your inner pages, as long as you make them focused enough. Therefore, paying close attention to those inner pages can make or break your website.
The focus of an inner page dedicated to increasing conversions should only be one or two highly specific actions, avoiding clutter and distractions. Because, like I mentioned in previous columns, if you emphasize everything, you will lose all emphasis.
So what are some of the goals for such a landing page? It could be to get people to subscribe to your newsletter, visit your Facebook fan page, to tell a friend or to buy from you.
The more focused you make these landing pages, the higher the conversions will be. Some tips on how to design your landings pages include:
- only one or two actions per page;
- do not clutter the page, less is more;
- leave your navigation menu off of these pages if you can, or only show them as text links at the bottom of the page. Try to have as few distractions as possible;
- make your “call to action” stand out by using the right colour schemes. Have it “above the fold” if at all possible, so people don’t have to scroll down to see it;
- make the offer appealing enough; and
- reassure visitors that their privacy is safe with you. Include a logo for your local chamber of commerce, the Better Business Bureau, your return policy, customer testimonials, and more.
Creating a few targeted landing pages on your website can do wonders for your conversion rates, leaving you with more customers!
Nardo Kuitert is an Internet Consultant with Fergus Website Development and Optimization firm U-C WEBS (www.u-cwebs.com). U-C WEBS also offers Internet advertising opportunities on www.ferguspages.com. (link opens in a new window). Nardo has written this column on behalf of the Centre Wellington Chamber of Commerce since 2006.
Do you like this article?
Do you want to publish this article in your newsletter? Send us an email with the details; we will likely grant you reprinting rights, provided you include the credit with a hyperlink back to this site.
Do you have any have questions?
Email us (info AT u-cwebs.com), or give us a call at +1 (519) 787-7612.